2/6/09

YOUR CLOTHES ARE NOT WHAT YOU THINK THEY ARE


One of the funniest things that I have ever seen was a homeless man standing in front of the Nôtre dame de Paris. He was screaming something at the top of his lungs and wearing a sweatshirt for pants. This was not a bad look for the guy. It added a comic effect to an otherwise frightening scene. An ironic circumstance; the backdrop couldn't have been more appropriate at any other level. --Madness-- parallels always satisfy me greatly. I'm thinking of this guy today because A.) A crazy man was in here earlier. He had one, and only one, hugely protruding front tooth, and he wouldn't take his helmut off. His bike, piled high with deflated bike tires, was the noblest of steeds for this Don Q. de la mancha. and B.) Today I'm wearing a dress for a skirt.
So I've just got to tell you that though you may be asking why?, and though you may think that wearing a sweatshirt for pants or a dress for a skirt is not only odd, but also completely unnecessary AND unattractive, I've got to tell you that it really isn't that far of a stretch these days, and that not only is it cool because it is fun, and looks cool, but also because it is PUNK. If you've never tried wearing a sweatshirt for pants then you don't know what I mean by the fun part, so you should go put one on and then you won't be confused anymore.
If you are one of those people who has to be shown proof that something is cool via mass production and glossy photos, then I give you this: a photo of a model wearing a shirt for a skirt, and this: the drop crotch. Do not tell me that it doesn't look EXACTLY like this guy is wearing a sweatshirt for pants. As a matter of fact, now that I look at this photo and really think about it, if it hadn't been for the hood hanging down behind his butt, I wouldn't be so disinclined to believe that Mr. Screamy wasn't just sporting the drop-crotch trend ahead of its time. I like it when people push the envelope, and that brings us back to why I am wearing a dress for a skirt today: I am totally punk.

Drop-crotch photo via oaknyc.com
Shirt skirt photo taken from TANK magazine
<3 fringe vintage
open everyday

No comments: